Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Imagine yourself emerging from of a near death experience, where in one way or another, everyone is after you. Your town is diminished, your home—gone. You’re confused. You don’t know who to trust, where to go, or what to do. Not only have you lost someone you loved, but you might also have lost yourself. You are trapped in a dark pit of sorrow and anguish and it feels like you will never escape. This is parallel to how Katniss Everdeen feels at the beginning of Mockingjay, the third book in The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. Katniss Everdeen escapes the Quarter Quell to find District 12 in ruins. She now stuck in District 13, which was thought to be destroyed. She wears a bracelet that says “mentally disoriented” but meanwhile is the figurehead of a huge rebellion taking place throughout almost all of the other districts. It seems like the world is against her and she is beyond confused. Her mind is flooded with countless haunting questions: Where’s Peeta? Is he alright? Should I trust in President Coin? Is it Gale who I want? Am I capable of being the Mockingjay? Katniss is caught in a war and she doesn’t know if she should fight or hide in the nearest closet. Suzanne Collins brilliantly concluded the Hunger Games trilogy with Mockingjay. Throughout all of the books, she successfully displays themes such as loyalty, trust, violence, and rebellion. I absolutely adore all of the books and how wonderfully the characters developed. Also the flow of the series is fantastic. While reading, I did not want the book to end. I was hooked to the plot and the characters. I was so angry and sad when I finished Mockingjay because I thought the magic was over. Little did I know that the magic would never go away. I finished the book almost two months ago and lie awake some nights thinking about the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment